-
What kind of language does he use?
-
How does he structure that language?
-
What kind of situation/context does Trump create?
o
How does he position Americans?
o
How does he position himself in relation to Americans?
-
How does this analysis judge Trump
o
As a person?
Assignment:
Share your Draft 2 with me on Google Docs
Read & Respond: Sample Essay: Anson
After reading the article Rhetorical Analysis of the “I Have a Dream” Speech which written by Anson L., I think this is a wonderful rhetorical analysis essay about Martin Luther King’s famous speech. And I have learned a lot about strategies of writing a rhetorical analysis essay while reading this essay. First of all, at the beginning of the essay, the author spends a lot of time and words to describe how much this speech had affected the audients after their listening of this speech. It seems useless for analyzing the rhetorical in this speech. In fact, the far-reaching impact of King’s speech has proved how successfully King used different rhetorical tropes and schemes. Thus, this is really a speech that worth reading, learning and analyzing.
ReplyDeleteBesides, except just analyzing sentence by sentence of King’s speech, pointing out what kind of trope he used and judging whether it is powerful or impressive. The author always inserts some background information before he begin to analyze a sentence. Readers will quite love this method of writing rhetorical essay. Because these messages can help them comprehend the situation where the speaker was in, why the speaker use this trope and what effect will happen if he use this trope.
I firmly believe that if we can learn all the strategies of writing a rhetorical analysis essay in this article, we can write a wonderful rhetorical analysis essay either.
By Christmas
You should analyse more specifically, maybe you can quote some point from the article
DeleteAfter reading this rhetorical analysis essay, I learn about many different writing skills from the “I Have a Dream” speech. At the beginning, the author emphasizes the importance of the “I Have a Dream” speech. Then, he analyses why the “I Have a Dream” speech can have a great impact on people. He concludes the different factors clearly.
ReplyDeleteThe most importance factor is the structure. The progressive layers make audience to think and be persuaded. King uses pathos to stir up the audience’s emotion. Beside, ethos and logos make audience to believe American doesn’t keep promise that every one is equal. King also uses rhetorical tropes. He alludes Bible and Shakespeare’s “Richard III”, which make the audience remember important parts of the past and helps audience understand the situation. Besides, he uses metaphors and similes to express his thoughts vividly. King uses various schemes. Anaphora and epistrophe can emphasize key points. Parallelism and antithesis make his speech more persuasive. Isocolon builds rhythm and connects what he wants to say .
Although King uses many strategies to polish the speech, King makes the content and the structure combine very well. The “I Have a Dream” speech is not only a wonderful speech, but also a masterpieces. From this speech, we can find the significance to make the speech content convincing and organized.
By Aria
Rhetorical Analysis of the “I Have a Dream” Speech which written by Anson L. does a good job at parsing why this speech of Martin Luther King is outstanding and convictive. After reading this article, I began to understand why King urged nonviolent movement. At first, I thought that was coward and inefficient, such as refusing to take the buses, parading, sit-in demonstration and so on. Compared with extreme racists’ bombs, bricks and assassinate, nonviolent movement was so merciful that it even harmed the Negro themselves. However, Anson L. gave me a new idea about it. He said violence would let white people never trust the Negro, and they would consider the Negro as savages who didn’t deserve their rights. So, as a result violence actually pushes black people away from their dream—a equal nation. King hoped through the nonviolence movement, the whole America would realize the uncomfortably inequality between the white and the black, and then they would deal with it together.
ReplyDeleteAnson L. also pointed the ethos modes used by King which I didn’t notice at the beginning. In his opinion, King used the allusions from Bible and Lincoln that would make people think of ethic. As I am not a religious person and not so familiar with Lincoln, I am not sensitive about these content. However, the Americans at that time would impress those words and support King’s movement as they regarded those as justice. Anson L. help me realize that the kinds of convincing example we list influence the reliance from others.------By Catherine
When I read the article that analyses rhetorical usage in the famous speech "I have a dream", I can feel deeply why it inspired hundreds of black men to fight for their freedom and justice and how a speech impress people.
ReplyDeletewhen the discrimination and injustice were filled with every aspect of black men's life. the speech was like sunshine to help them out of the haze. It provoke the audience into feeling sympathy while providing hope to the depressed African-American population.Why the speech can had so great influence, the author explained the rhetoric in the speech for us, we also can learn the ways in order that we can write better essays or speeches.
There are three rhetorical modes of ethos, pathos and logos being used in the speech, King used a well-planned structure to make people understand the dilemma, he not only used metaphor and repetition with paths to appeal to, but also used ethos and logos to prove what he hope. All ways he used inspired his brothers and got people's sympathy. So we know good rhetorical usage make a article attractive and passionate then you can convey your thoughts and gain your audience's favor.
The author was absolutely successful in giving readers a brilliant rhetorical analysis of the “I Have a Dream” speech. He generally analyzed the speech in three aspects: structure, rhetorical modes and schemes. Additionally, he detailed these aspects and interpreted the modes used in speech such as pathos, logos, tropes, isocolon, antithesis. Abundant examples cited from the original were of great help for readers to understand those unacquainted methods. After reading this article, I was surprised that there are so many smart skills in the speech. A perfect speech text should has a thoughtful structure which covers all emphasis and considers different types of audiences. Equally important, rhetorical modes and schemes are also necessary, which make speeches with literary grace more heart-stirring. In my perspective, pathos is the most frequently used mode for it can arouse the violent emotion of audiences in maximum extent, and King used this mode more than others in his speech. Furthermore, it is really smart to allude the works of famous people to make audiences feel as if his arguments are all definitely righteous. In a word, the author successfully revealed the reason “ I Have a Dream ” as a rhetorical masterpiece by analyzing effective structure, modes, tropes and schemes used in original. As a result, readers can learn much knowledge on rhetorical and powerful writing.
ReplyDeleteZora
After reading the article “Rhetorical Analysis of the ‘I Have a Dram’ Speech, I know it was the structure which King used that made a massive impact to Americans. Besides, I also learned that using logos, pathos and ethos can make your speech more vivid and more convincing. In King’s speech, he used a lot of metaphor. It can not only bring hope to blacks but also let whites be ashamed for their actions. In my opinion, we have to collect many materials to support what we want to express. For example, King cite the Bible, Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and Shakespeare’s “Richard III”. These things represent justice in most audience’s mind so they won’t doubt about what King said. In addition to these strategies, King used parallelism to highlight the atmosphere. In many Chinese poem, there are also many cases that repeat similar clauses several times. Poets usually use this strategy to appeal people to do what they want to do. I think this strategy is the best way to make people excited.
ReplyDeleteI learned many useful things from this article. Giving a speech is not cliches. It needs many strategies and details. If we want to do a successful speech, we must put a lot of energy into it.
--- By Rita
After reading this article, I think the success of king's speech is inevitable. Here is the reason:
ReplyDeleteWe know that the most important of any speech is its structure. The speech's structure is used to appeal to types of audiences likely to be listening to the speech. At the beginning, king points out the current situation the negro face. Then he lists several examples to show the fact emphasizing the important to eliminate discrimination. At the end, he gives hope to negro. King wisely uses a well-planned structure to manipulate his audience into agreeing with him by painting an image of the Negros’s plight.
Moreover, to make his structure more attractive and persuasive, King uses many rhetorical strategies. For example, at the beginning, he uses pathos. He uses this to make the audience sympathize with the Negroes making his audience no longer hate Negroes and instead hate racism and be filled with a hope of an equal world. King also uses the other two modes of rhetoric, ethos and logos. These two modes make the audience think that the whites have lied and broken their promises to the Negroes. Beyond the three modes, it also has certain rhetorical tropes like metaphors, similes and rhetorical schemes such as epistrophe, anaphora, parallelism, antithesis and isocolon. These are really good rhetorical strategies.
Although all of the rhetorical strategies are interesting, the most important aspect is how they relate to each other and the effect they create. King carefully tries to relate all of his rhetorical strategies with his structure which makes his success.
In brief, King’s speech is an excellent example of combining different rhetorical strategies. It's worth learning and practicing.
Vincent
After reading the article named Rhetorical Analysis of the “I have a dream” Speech I learned something about the relationship between black people and white people at first because the article is about the speech named I have a dream written by King. At first I just thought that the motivation for pursuing equal right among black people had a clear direction and organization from the very first. I know that it has a very difficult process at the beginning until now. This article also does explain a lot about King’s perfect structure and writing skills. For one thing, the author tells us that King use ethos, pathos and logos. For example, he uses “the Constitution and Declaration of Independence” and the history that Lincoln signed the “Emancipation Proclamation” to prove his speech and make people trust him. I think those are what we call ethos argument, pathos argument and logos argument. In this way we can know how to persuade other people better. For another thing, the author also tells us that to assist in his rhetorical modes, King uses rhetorical tropes, metaphors, simile, rhetorical question, schemes, parallelism and antithesis in his modes of the article. In my opinion, ethos does help us to arouse the audience’s emotions and catch the audience’s attention. As far as I am concerned, I hold the belief that if we can connect all of the rhetorical strategies in future we can make our article better and better.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the article “Rhetorical Analysis of the ‘I Have a Dream’ Speech” which written by Anson L. , I think this is a very good rhetorical analysis essay and I learn some writing skills from “I Have a Dream”. The author analyzes Martin Luther King’s famous speech very detail and King’s effective structure making a massive impact to American and Negroes. King uses several rhetorical strategies, and schemes to making the speech more convincing and attractive.
ReplyDeleteKing uses parallelism, rhetorical questions and so on are related to the rhetorical modes like ethos, logos and pathos. King uses pathos to arousing the audience’s anger and he also alludes Bible allusion, Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and Shakespeare’s “Richard III”, which make the audience to believe his arguments are righteous and help the audience to understand it. In addition, King uses rhetorical trope, metaphors, smile, rhetorical question, schemes, epistrophe, anaphora, parallelism, antithesis, isocolon in his essay. King carefully tries to connect all of his rhetorical strategies with his structure. In my opinion, I think maybe we can use some of these rhetorical strategies when we are writing essay. In this way, we can make our essay better.
By-----Mikayla
I’m so impressive that a speech can be given with so many skills in it!! Actually, listening an English speech is really different from listening a native language speech. I don’t have enough time to think about the deep meaning in the second language. Besides, after having taken nearly two semesters the oral academic class, which teaches me how to give and organize a presentation, the main idea of giving a presentation is organization. So I simply think if I can make a good outline, I can make a not bad presentation. The biggest problem is that I forget considering the content.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I have changed my mind when reading this article. Each form of words in different kinds of language has its own way to express literature. Giving a speech is not only to show the speaker’s main ideas. It’s related to what the audiences are concerned about; what kind of the information they want to get; how the speaker convinces people of his main ideas and correctly gives information the audiences need. So we need rhetorical skills. It can help us make a good structure to appeal to audience.
After reading Martin Luther King’s speech “I have a dream” and Anson L.’s essay Rhetorical Analysis of the “I Have a Dream” Speech. I realised that Rhetorical devices play vital role in speeches like “I have a dream”, which make them more logical, credible and convincing. The author’s careful analysis also occurs to me that we need to consider a lot of factors when making a rhetorical speech/ essay, one should add appropriate rhetorical modes: logos, ethos and pathos at proper place and proper amount. While the most difficult thing is that before one writing the essay, it is necessary for the author to consider the audience, think about the amount, the identity, the social status, eduction, etc, just like when delivering an academic presentation. Martin Luther King firmly catches his audience by showing his ambition of realising black people's dream, giving black people equal rights and provide them with security guarantee. These are things what black people at that time most wanted. Therefore,this analysis make me understand that rhetorical parts of speeches never come from nowhere, behind the excited words, there are actual understanding of the situation and thorough cosideration.
ReplyDeleteBefore I read this analyses rhetorical usage in the famous speech "I have a dream", I was aware of it is a provocative and classic speech. But I did not know why it can be so influence to people whatever you are white or black. After I read it, I find the answer.
ReplyDeleteOn the one hand, Negro’s situation is really at risk. People blinded in race should be awakened by this speech. It also leads King to danger. And before King could see the liberation, he was shot. He made the biggest emotional investment to it.
On the other hand, as a successful speaker, King used as much as rhetoric he can. He not only used the three basic rhetoric “pathos, logos and ethos”, but also used allusion, metaphors, simile, rhetorical question, epistrophe, anaphora, parallelism, antithesis, isocolon and so on. He activated the air of speech and made people convince him. In China, there are also many rhetoric in articles especially poems. It is such a better way to purging your feelings.
What a impressing and superb speaker King is ! A successful lecture needs so many tricks.After reading the article Rhetorical Analysis of the “I Have a Dream” Speech ,I have learned such skills as King utilized.The first point,in my view, is most meaningful part,which is arranging a right structure.A right really makes sense as writer Anson L. said.It often helps you push your speech to go forward but not end in a mass.That's also what you give for your audience as a first impression.
ReplyDeleteSecond,only after you have a right order(structure),then you can use diverse tricks to attract your audience and polish your speech.One of tricks King made good use of is tropes.King used many categories of tropes including metaphors and simile.It transforms the abstract ideas into easy and common things we could understand.Besides it can convey speakers' feelings well.So we could see most of parts of King's speech is using tropes.
Another tricks King provided is symbolizing.It makes people think deep and make the meaning of sentence more eloquent.
Last but not the least,King perfect combined three Os--Logos, Ethos & Pathos.We should learn from King solemnly.
After reading “Rhetorical Analysis of the ‘I Have a Dream’ Speech”, I clearly realize the power of language. A good speaker can make his audiences think as what he wants and Martin Luther King Jr. had this ability. In his speech “I Have a Dream”, he made up its structure with many rhetorical strategies, such as three rhetorical modes, rhetorical tropes and schemes. The aim of the three rhetorical modes of ethos, pathos and logos is to make audiences hate racism and wish a new future instead of hating Negroes. As for rhetorical tropes, he used allusions, metaphors, similes and rhetorical questions to show the situation of blanks and his ideas, which called blacks to struggle their own rights. As for schemes, he used eoistriohe, anaphora, antithesis and isocolon to emphasize the plights of Negroes by repeating again and again.
ReplyDelete--- by Monica
It’s a typical Rhetorical Analysis essay for the leaner that was written by Anson L.. The writer analyze the speech of Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” with a clear structure. He starts with the introduction of background, the historical background of the speech, the racism discrimination, the activity of civil rights, and Martin Luther King was introduced as the most notable activist. Then the author Anson start to analyze the speech itself. Anson talked about the purpose of the speech through the historical background. Author talked about types of the audience and the structure that Martin used to impress them. Author thought Martin use pathos, ethos and logos to touch the audience and “assist in his rhetorical mode”. Martin also use Metaphor and simile, finally, he use a trope as a rhetorical question “when will you be satisfied ?” Anson also analyze the scheme of the speech. He thinks Martin uses epistrophe, parallelism to emphasize the words, Martin also uses Antithesis and isocolon to impress the audience. The most important Rhetorical stuff that Anson praise in the Martin’s speech is the way to relate the whole speech with several point and it’s meaning of human rights.
ReplyDelete